“Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” – Steve Jobs’ Stanford Commencement Address
– choose the life you want. then live it.
– choose happiness.
no one can make you happy except yourself. happiness is within you. fact. if you’re not happy then change what you’re doing, and/or how you’re doing it and/or who you’re doing it with. happiness is a state of mind, not an event. strive for that.
– choose integrity.
you can’t be happy if you’re living a life of falsehoods and half-truths. find your authenticity and express it in every way, every day. don’t fake it, be it.
truth. do you. keep it real.
– choose to live for yourself.
stop looking to other people to define you and your dreams. sit down and think about who you are vs who you want to be. are you living YOUR life or the life some other person thinks you should live?
– choose to be happy today.
– choose to be happy on the journey, instead of waiting to be happy when you reach your destination.
– choose to thrive, not just survive.
there is more to life than just being on the grind all day every day. what drives you? what defines you? have you found your purpose? are you living your vision? is money the ultimate goal? or are you striving to make the money that will allow you to live the life you want? will you be able to enjoy that life when you finally make that paper? each day, choose happiness, and choose that will add to your happiness.
– every day that you live, you make choices. – who to see. -what to wear. -what to eat. -what to wear. each choice that you make either makes you happy or subtracts from your happiness. make choices that are in line with whether you want to be happy or unhappy.
– understand that the goal is not to be wealthy in and of itself, but to have the wealth that will allow you to live the life you want. if your goal is just to make money, then what will you do with the money once you’ve made it? do you know? or are you hoping to figure it once you’ve got it made? money has never made anyone happy, but it will allow you to do/have those things that will make you happy. fact.
don’t put off your happiness to make the money. every day should be an occasion for happiness. if not, then you are in the wrong field, doing the wrong job, with the wrong people, in the wrong relationships.
steve jobs had the right idea. at the end of it all, all that matters is that you followed your heart. so follow your heart. do you. live large. find your joy. start today.
today’s resource: the happiness project (opens in new window/tab)